Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Taking Meds Is Important...Like, REALLY Important

Guess what? Taking your medication the right way, at the right time, on the right days, is critically important. I found this out the hard way a couple weeks ago.

I talk a lot about invisible illnesses on this blog (okay, it's really the only thing I talk about) and like many other people, I have a thyroid disease called Hashimoto's thyroiditis. In the most basic terms, my immune system mistakenly attacks my thyroid gland, destroying it over time. In fact, a surprising percentage of invisible illnesses are due to a malfunctioning immune system: Addison's disease, Celiac disease, Chron's disease, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, Psoriasis, and Type I Diabetes, to name just a few.

These diseases are often complex, and have symptoms that can affect many areas and systems of the body all at once. Such complexity sometimes requires multiple medications, taken with very specific directions. If you're anything like me, you might feel like all the medicinal hoop-jumping is for nothing; your symptoms aren't better, your prognosis isn't improving, and you have to take out a second mortgage to pay for your medications. It's hard to continue taking medications the way you are supposed to, when it doesn't feel like they are doing anything.

But I am here to share with you WHY it is so important to do exactly that.

In addition to my thyroid disease, I have a genetic defect on my MTHFR gene. You can read more about what this gene does here. Basically, when it doesn't work right, all kinds of things go wrong. Big, scary things, like increased risk of dementia, coronary artery disease, stroke, and cancer. The treatment for my particular defect, A1298C, involves vitamin therapy--LOTS of vitamin therapy. Which I underestimated.

Sigh.

Four weeks ago I ran out of my high-dose folic acid, and neglected to get it refilled. After just a week or so, my depression had increased so dramatically that I was having borderline suicidal thoughts. Every day, I got worse and worse, as though the deep, dark hole I was in was only getting deeper and darker. I had a difficult candid conversation with my husband about how I was feeling, and with his help realized that there might, in fact, be a connection between my missing supplement and how awful I was suddenly feeling, how poorly I was coping with everything.

I made a point to get back on track with all of my medications, and I gotta say, within a week, I was so much better. It was shocking, because I only just got my diagnosis regarding this genetic defect, and had thought to myself, "how important could some folic acid be?" I'd lived my whole life up till this point without taking this prescription, so I didn't realize how it could really impact my health.

Well, obviously enormously important. If I hadn't shared how I was feeling, if I hadn't made the connection between my symptoms and medication, if I hadn't restarted my prescription as quickly as I did, I may have been facing a serious psychological crisis. I could have continued down that terrible, isolated road, and potentially hurt myself. All because of skipping one medication.

The lesson, kids, is that even if you think your meds aren't doing anything at all, you really need to think twice, three times, a hundred times, and then talk to your doctor first before just stopping it. Don't be lazy like me. Don't disregard what is obviously necessary for your health. Don't find excuses to not take care of yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Jess. I too have an "invisible" disease that was tough to diagnose (Celiac and Adrenal Fatigue that was misdiagnosed as Type 2 Diabetes). I take more calories in as supplements in the morning than I do for breakfast. I have been tempted to adjust my dosage based on how I'm feeling. Thank you for the reminder that I don't know more than my doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that you were able to get a correct diagnosis, pammyj, it can be so devastating emotional, mentally, and financially when we are treated for the wrong disease. While I do think it's important to follow instructions when it comes to medications/supplements, I certainly encourage you to check in with your doctor if you aren't feeling better. We are always our own best advocates, and by communicating with them as often as we need to, we give our doctors the chance to help us heal. Best of luck, and thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete